Hanna kicked off his talk with:
We have a responsibility to provide service to our customers.
and continued with sharing his thoughts on the differences between blogging and traditional media.
Here’s my quick summary of his tips:
- Think of your blog as a small business.
- Three things that differentiate blogging from traditional media: 1 Interactivity 2. The long tail 3. Speed
- Find a blogger mentor, hold each other accountable.
- Survey your customers. You can quickly create a survey using the PollDaddy plugin.
- Make your key customers feel special. Send an email message to a client about a great resource you found.
- Encourage loyalty. Make it easy for readers to contact you with easy to find (and use) contact forms. Let readers sign up to get updates by email. Add options for subscribers to get updates to comments.
- Engage your customers. Use related post plugins to encourage your customers to view more of your content.
- Engage your fellow bloggers. Read other blogs, comment on their posts, create a community of bloggers you chat/interact with regularly.
- Educate your customers. Your mission is more altruistic than self-promotion.
- Create trust. Build trust with your readers by treating them like your customers.