Mike was thrilled to be working on the website for a local nonprofit. He’d been wanting to work on local community projects and discovered a new nonprofit was in need of a website.
He read what to consider before selecting a WordPress theme and finally found a theme he liked and could customize for the nonprofit.
Mike purchased the theme from a popular WordPress theme shop and installed it.
But when Mike started working with the theme, and customizing the settings, he ran into problems.
After digging into the theme code, he discovered issues with how the code was written.
He contacted the theme shop and explained what the issues were, hoping there was a patch or workaround.
Customer support at the theme shop replied quickly.
There were no patches and no plans in the near future to remedy the issues.
Mike did what most of us would do: he asked for a refund.
And that’s when he discovered the theme shop didn’t provide refunds.
Know the Refund Policy
Like any retail shop, there is no standard refund policy for WordPress theme shops.
Some theme shops offer refunds within 30 days of purchase, other shops offer no refunds.
It’s up to you as the purchaser to check the theme shop refund policy.
Before you purchase a WordPress theme:
- Read their refund policy and terms of service. You’ll often find the policies linked on theme shop pricing pages.
- Take time to read messages in their support forums (if they’re open to non-customers)
- If you’re a member of a local WordPress Meetup group (I hope you are!), post your questions in the Meetup group’s forum or discussion board.
In addition to getting an answer from someone who’s used the theme, you’ll connect with others in the local WordPress community.
Refund Policies for WordPress Theme Shops
I researched some popular WordPress theme shops for their refund policies and here’s what I found (as of May 3, 2021):
- GeneratePress: refunds of GP Premium cost within 30 days of initial purchase date (refund does not apply to license renewals)
- Elementor: refunds within 30 days of purchase
- Astra: refunds within 14 days of purchase
- StudioPress: theme package refund within 30 days of purchase. Genesis Pro refund within 60 days of purchase.
- iThemes: refund dependent on what kind of subscription you have. You’ll want to carefully read their refund policy.
- ElegantThemes: refunds within 30 days of purchase date
- WooCommerce Theme Store: refunds within 30 days of purchase
Finding a WordPress theme that works for your project can be challenging.
Before you use your credit card or PayPal account to buy a theme, make sure you understand the theme refund policy.
Do you check the refund policy before you buy a WordPress theme? Share your experience in the comments.
Photo Credit: Unlisted Sightings under Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0)
Originally published January 11, 2014. Updated with new content, including new refund details for theme shops.