Originally published April 16, 2015
Getting together in-person to talk about accessibility and learn about inclusive design are great opportunities to meet people in your community, find out about their work, and share your knowledge.
Whether I’m chatting on Twitter or attending a local meetup event, every week I’m asked about local in-person gatherings for digital accessibility and inclusive design.
In the interest of encouraging people to attend, I’ve created a list of all the in-person groups I could find online.
The list contains over 60 meetup groups!
You’ll find groups organized first by region, then alphabetically by city within each region.
And while the COVID-19 pandemic has restricted meeting in person, many groups have opted to go online with their events.
Which means you have more opportunities to learn about accessibility and connect with other accessibility professionals and advocates!
If you know of other accessibility and inclusive design in-person groups, let me know via my contact form and I’ll add them to this post.
Note: Only groups that have met in the past year are included. The list is updated quarterly (and sometimes more often).
Accessibility and Inclusive Design Groups
- Bangalore, India: Bangalore Accessibility and Inclusive Design Meetup
- Mumbai, India: Mumbai Accessibility and Inclusive Design
- Tokyo, Japan: Accessibility Virtual Reality Group
Australia and New Zealand
- Auckland, New Zealand: Auckland Digital Accessibility and Inclusive Design Meetup
- Brisbane, Australia: Brisbane Web Accessibility & Inclusive Design
- Melbourne, Australia: Melbourne Web Accessibility & Inclusive Design
- Perth, Australia: Perth Web Accessibility & Inclusive Design
- Sydney, Australia: Sydney Web Accessibility & Inclusive Design
- Sydney, Australia: PDF Accessibility Sydney
- Wellington, New Zealand: Wellington Web Accessibility Meetup
- Hamilton, Ontario, Canada: a11yHam
- Montréal, Quebec, Canada: a11yMTL
- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: a11yYOW – Ottawa Digital Accessibility and Inclusive Design
- Québec City, Quebec, Canada: a11yQC
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada: #a11yTO
- Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada: Vancouver Digital Accessibility
- Berlin, Germany: A11y Meetup Berlin
- Bristol, England: Bristol Inclusive Design and Development
- Budapest, Hungary: Budapest Accessibility Meetup
- Dublin, Ireland: Dublin Web Accessibility
- Ghent, Belgium: Ghent Inclusive Design
- Göteborg, Sweden: Diversity and Inclusion Software Development
- Helsinki, Finland: Helsinki Web Accessibility Meetup
- Leeds, England: Accessibility Leeds
- London, England: London Accessibility Meetup
- Manchester, England: Accessibility Manchester
- Munich, Germany: Munich Accessibility Meetup
- Nottingham, England: Accessibility Nottingham
- Paris, France: Paris Web Accessibility
- Stockholm, Sweden: t12t – Stockholm
- Utrecht, Netherlands: Inclusive Design & Accessibility
- Wroclaw, Poland: A11y Wroclaw
- Atlanta, Georgia: A11Y Atlanta
- Austin, Texas: Austin Accessibility and Inclusive Design
- Bellevue, Washington: Eastside Accessibility Meetup
- Boulder, Colorado: Boulder Accessibility and Inclusive Design
- Buffalo, New York: Buffalo Accessibility Group
- Cedar Rapids, Iowa: Iowa Web Accessibility, UX & Inclusive Design
- Chicago, Illinois: Chicago Web Accessibility and Inclusive Design
- Cleveland, Ohio: Cleveland Accessibility
- Denver, Colorado: DenA11y
- Durham, North Carolina: A11y Devs
- Lincoln, Nebraska: Nebraska Digital Accessibility
- Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota: Accessibility Twin Cities
- New York City, New York: Accessibility (A11y) in Libraries
- New York City, New York: Accessibility New York City
- New York City (Brooklyn), New York: Diversity & Inclusion in Tech Meetup
- New York City (Long Island), New York: LI Web Accessibility and Inclusive Design
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: A11yPHL – Philly Accessibility
- Orlando, Florida: Orlando Web Accessibility
- Portland, Oregon: Portland Accessibility and User Experience
- Princeton, New Jersey: A11yPrinceton, Princeton Accessibility
- Salt Lake City, Utah: Utah Inclusive Design and Digital Accessibility
- Saint Louis, Missouri: Saint Louis Digital Accessibility & Inclusive Design
- San Diego, California: San Diego Accessibility & Inclusive Design
- San Francisco Bay Area, California: Bay Area Accessibility and Inclusive Design
- San Francisco, California: Bay Area Accessibility Dinners
- Scottsdale/Phoenix, Arizona: Scottsdale/Phoenix Web Accessibility Design
- Seattle, Washington: Seattle Area Accessibility & Inclusive Design
- Washington, DC: Accessibility DC
Roledrinks is a different concept than the other meetups. It’s an opportunity for you to get together with others in your community for drinks with lightning talks about accessibility.
Anyone is welcome to set up their own roledrinks event for their community. Visit their site to learn more about getting started.
Accessibility Club is another meetup group focused on accessibility events in Germany. Meetup events have been held in Nuremberg, Berlin, Turku, and Munich.
Any group I missed? If you know of others, please share them in the comments.