Getting together to talk about accessibility and learn about inclusive design are great opportunities to meet people in your community, learn about their work, and share your knowledge.
Whether I’m chatting on Twitter or attending a local meetup event, every week I’m asked about gatherings for digital accessibility and inclusive design.
In the interest of encouraging people to attend, I’ve created a list of all the accessibility and inclusive design meetup groups I could find online.
The list contains over three dozen meetup groups!
You’ll find groups organized first by region, then alphabetically by city within each region.
Since the COVID-19 pandemic has restricted meeting in person, many groups have opted to go online with their events.
Which means you have more opportunities to learn about accessibility and connect with other accessibility professionals and advocates!
If you know of other accessibility and inclusive design meetup groups, let me know via my contact form and I’ll add them to this post.
Note: I’ve loosened my standard to include groups that have met in the past year. I know many group organizers are struggling in their efforts to organize events.
If you notice a nearby meetup group hasn’t held a recent event, I recommend contacting them. They may be looking volunteers or new group organizers.
My list continues to be updated quarterly (and sometimes more often).
Accessibility and Inclusive Design Groups
- Bangalore, India: Bangalore Accessibility and Inclusive Design Meetup
- Tokyo, Japan: Accessibility Virtual Reality Group
Australia and New Zealand
- Auckland, New Zealand: Auckland Digital Accessibility and Inclusive Design Meetup
- Brisbane, Australia: Brisbane Web Accessibility & Inclusive Design
- Melbourne, Australia: Melbourne Web Accessibility & Inclusive Design
- Perth, Australia: Perth Web Accessibility & Inclusive Design
- Sydney, Australia: Sydney Web Accessibility & Inclusive Design
- Sydney, Australia: PDF Accessibility Sydney
- Wellington, New Zealand: Wellington Web Accessibility Meetup
- Hamilton, Ontario, Canada: a11yHam
- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: a11yYOW – Ottawa Digital Accessibility and Inclusive Design
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada: #a11yTO
- Berlin, Germany: A11y Meetup Berlin
- Bristol, England: Bristol Inclusive Design and Development
- Leeds, England: Accessibility Leeds
- London, England: London Accessibility Meetup
- Manchester, England: Accessibility Manchester
- Paris, France: Paris Web Accessibility
- Stockholm, Sweden: t12t – Stockholm
- Atlanta, Georgia: A11Y Atlanta
- Austin, Texas: Austin Accessibility and Inclusive Design
- Boston, Massachusetts: a11yBoston
- Boulder, Colorado: Boulder Accessibility and Inclusive Design
- Chicago, Illinois: Chicago Web Accessibility and Inclusive Design
- Cleveland, Ohio: Cleveland Accessibility
- Lincoln, Nebraska: Nebraska Digital Accessibility
- Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota: Accessibility Twin Cities
- New York City, New York: Accessibility New York City
- New York City (Long Island), New York: LI Web Accessibility and Inclusive Design
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: A11yPHL – Philly Accessibility
- Portland, Oregon: Portland Accessibility and User Experience
- Princeton, New Jersey: A11yPrinceton, Princeton Accessibility
- Saint Louis, Missouri: Saint Louis Digital Accessibility & Inclusive Design
- San Diego, California: San Diego Accessibility & Inclusive Design
- San Francisco, California: Bay Area Accessibility and Inclusive Design
- San Francisco, California: Bay Area Disability Inclusion Network
- Seattle, Washington: Seattle Area Accessibility & Inclusive Design
Accessibility Club is another meetup group focused on accessibility events in Europe. Meetup events have been held in Nuremberg, Berlin, Turku, and Munich, Germany as well as Minsk, Belarus.
Any group I missed? If you know of others, please share them in the comments.
Originally published April 16, 2015