With rain and cold temperatures predicted in southeast Michigan this Saturday and Sunday, I know how some of my time will be spent this weekend: taking courses offered through Code School’s Free Weekend.
Back for another year on the weekend before the U.S. Thanksgiving Day holiday, Code School is opening up all of their content to the public for free, November 17, 2017 through November 19, 2017.
What is Code School?
Code School is an online learning website, where you can learn web development through online courses, projects, and screencasts.
Their course offerings range from the basics to more advanced web development skills.
According to their site, their courses :
…combine gaming mechanics with video instruction and in-browser coding challenges to make learning fun and memorable.
Each course is built around a creative theme and storyline so that it feels like you’re playing a game, not sitting in a classroom.
Last year, Code School proudly announced over three million people have taken their courses.
I smiled when I read their About page today: over five million people have now taken their courses.
What Kind of Courses?
You’ll find a range of over 70 courses to help you develop your skills and build a solid coding foundation:
In addition, Code School is now offering what they call Projects, where you build and deploy real-world applications on your own computer while Code School checks your work.
Here are a few of their projects:
- Hello, Code School
- Build a Portfolio Using HTML and CSS
- Use jQuery to Fetch and Show Code School Badges Using Ajax
- Build a Portfolio Using Bootstrap
- Update a Page Using Semantic HTML
What You Need to Know
There are only a few requirements to start taking courses on Code School’s Free Weekend:
- You’ll need to create a free account on Code School
- You must be 13 years of age or older
- Browser requirements are Safari, Chrome, Firefox, or Internet Explorer 10 (or higher). I’m surprised Edge isn’t included in their list of browsers.
- Same restrictions as last year: while you can run courses on your iPhone or iPad, the code editor won’t work on the iPhone or iPad.
Code School’s Free Weekend starts Friday, November 17, 2017 at 10:00am Eastern Time and ends Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 11:59PM Eastern Time.
That’s 61 hours to learn something new!
Questions? Use their online feedback form for questions about Free Weekend.
What Code School courses are you planning to take this weekend?