This week’s list is a bit short since I was off the interweb for two days, but I’ve included some great resources from today’s Boston Accessibility Unconference.
- 45+ Free Lessons in Graphic Design from Noupe: Outstanding collection of resources for web and graphic design. It will take me days to make my way through all the lessons and tutorials.
- The Cross-Channel Experience from Nick Finck: Cross-channel experience design refers to designing for all touchpoints a customer has with a business, whether on the web, in person, mobile, print, etc.
- 18 PSDs for Mobile Phone UI Design from Smashing Magazine: Another great collection for people designing for mobile, includes PSDs for Android, iPhone, Nexus and more.
- LookTel Money Reader: iPhone and iPod Touch application instantly recognizes US currency and speaks the denomination. Too bad there’s no Android application.
- 10 Examples of QR Codes for Real Time Marketing: If you’re going to use a QR code, make sure it points to a mobile friendly site.
- HTML5 Compatibility for Mobile and Tablet Browsers from Mobile HTML5: The page will be updated frequently to account for all the new mobile devices, tablets and browsers. Glad it recommends developers detect features rather than develop for platform or version.
- 7 Best Practices for Improving Your Website’s Usability by Jacob Gube (of Six Revisions): Good tactical advice and case studies.
- 9 Things Designers Can Learn from Target’s Checkout Form from UX Movement: Lots of good discussion in the comments, not every reader agrees with the article.
- 3 Handy Tools to Test for Broken Site Links: I’ve used Xenu for years, but was glad to discover other options.
- Social Media Accessibility: Where Are We Today by Denis Boudreau: Sad that the best social media channel (YouTube) only achieves 29% overall rating for accessibility.
Not web-related, but interesting articles I enjoyed reading this past week:
- 4 Things Never to Buy on Amazon.com (and 4 Things to Buy) from Yahoo Finance: I wouldn’t think to buy groceries from Amazon, but had no idea the savings from buying baby diapers.
- How to Get a Complete Workout with Nothing But Your Body from LifeHacker: Long article, with lots of instructions. I like that videos are included that show the proper form.
- How 9/11 Has Shaped a Generation of Americans by Peter Grier: Similar to the nuclear war threat of an earlier generation, terrorism is the threat for our millenial generation.